Re: Migrate from Maildir/IMAP/Exchange to NNML

From: Nicolas KOWALSKI
Subject: Re: Migrate from Maildir/IMAP/Exchange to NNML
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:47:54 +0200

brettrandall <brett.randall@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey everyone

Hello,

> Has anyone got a script or other that can already do this? I don't
> care if it uses the locally sync'd Maildir, whether it talks to an
> IMAP server (local or remote), or if it reads from a PST - I just
> need to figure a way of converting all my folders to NNML and then
> getting Gnus reading them.

I would use 'mailutil', coming from UW-imapd distribution. The general
idea is to transfer mails from an IMAP server to local 'mx' format.
The 'mx' format works like 'mh', so the data files are fully readable
in the Gnus nnml backend after rebuilding its databases using
`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases'.

- the command I use is:

mailutil transfer -v -m append '{localhost/notls/norsh/user=niko}'
'#driver.mx//home/niko/Mail/'

- then I remove the mx index files:

find /home/niko/Mail -type f -name .mxindex -exec rm -f {} \;

- then I rebuild the nnml databases in Gnus.

Hope this helps,
--
Nicolas