Why is In-Reply-To set when clicking on sender address?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Why is In-Reply-To set when clicking on sender address?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:42:39 +0200

Hi,

when I mouse-2-click on a mail address in some existing mail, I get a
normal looking composition buffer without context.  However, when
actually sending the mail, Gnus inserts Reference and In-Reply-To
headers which is absolutely not expected and not what I would want.

I use one of the reply commands when I want to reply to a message.

Is there a way to turn off this annoying behavior?  Is it not a bug in
the first place?  If Gnus is going to mark this thing as a Reply, should
it not do this right away instead of sneaking this information in
afterwards?