Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:21:05 -0500

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:37:49 +0300 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote:

GK> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:52:14 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:48:29 +0300 Giorgos Keramidas
>> <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
GK> What is the recommended way of getting different thread gathering
GK> logic for some of the groups?
>>
>> I don't know if there's a standard way; I do it in the summary entry
>> hook based on the newsgroup name.

GK> Thank you Ted,

GK> That sounds like a good idea.

GK> I thought adding this to the group parameters was a nice way of making
GK> it work, but maybe it's worth trying to patch Gnus and add some sort of
GK> wrapper function that dispatches on the group name, i.e.:

GK>   (setq-default gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
GK>                 'keramida-gnus-gather-threads)

GK> Then I could add regexp matches to one or two new variables like:

GK>   (defvar keramida-gnus-thread-function-by-group-map
GK>     '(("mail\\.foo\\.bar" . gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)
GK>       ("mail\\..*" . gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
GK>       (t . gnus-gather-threads-by-references))
GK>     "List of (regexp . function) pairs to select a thread-gathering
function.")

GK> Then with `gnus-summary-exit-hook' I can restore the thread gathering
GK> function to a `default' value.  I think I'll give this a try.  If it
GK> seems to work nicely, I will post what I wrote here when I've tested it
GK> a bit.

I think what you and others want is to modify gnus-posting-styles so it
allows a symbol instead of just a static definition.  In other words,
instead of

((".*"
  (signature-file "~/.signature")
  (name "Ted Zlatanov")
  (organization "Теодор Златанов @ Cienfuegos")))

it could be

((".*"
  ('gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
  (signature-file "~/.signature")
  (name "Ted Zlatanov")
  (organization "Теодор Златанов @ Cienfuegos")))

Am I understanding you correctly?  I don't know how hard this change is,
if it's the right thing.

Ted