OfflineIMAP changes Gnus article numbers

From: Ross Patterson
Subject: OfflineIMAP changes Gnus article numbers
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:56:22 -0700

I'm using Gnus with the nnimap backend and OfflineIMAP to sync a local
Dovecot IMAP server with a remote Dovecot IMAP server.  When a new
message is added to a folder and I open that folder in Gnus, it has
article number n.  If I run offlineimap and then open the folder in Gnus
again, the message has article number n+1.  Does anyone have any idea
why this is happening?  Is there anyway to keep the article numbers
stable?

Ross