Re: Switched nnml->nnimap, /var/mail/«user» not being read

From: David
Subject: Re: Switched nnml->nnimap, /var/mail/«user» not being read
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:42:47 +0200

Kurt Swanson <direct@reply.not.desired> writes:
> Usually people using an imap server from Gnus are having their new
> mail deposited into the imap server's INBOX, and then nnimap can do
> (fancy) splitting from there into individual groups.  I have
> intentionally not set this up--I want Gnus to pre-process and sort my
> incoming email *before* it hits INBOX, such that my smartphone won't
> see lower priority emails, etc. before Gnus filters them away.
>
> Apparently nnimap isn't really a mail backend per se, and so it is
> ignoring mail-sources.  I tried retaining nnml to read the /var/mail
> incoming emails, which it of course will, and nicely uses my
> nnmail-split-fancy.  Unfortunately it deftly removes the "nnimap:"
> portion from splits, turning "nnimap:my-imap-folder", into
> "nnml:my-imap-folder", and creating that folder if need be...

Gnus can't split across backends, so I'm afraid this can't be done.

I have a similar setup, and I use procmail to deliver my mail. The
simplest setup would be to use a minimal .procmailrc with

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
DEFAULT=.incoming/

so that all new mails land in a folder "incoming". You can then set
nnimap-split-inbox to this folder, so that Gnus does its IMAP splitting
from there, and you simply don't subscribe it on your smartphone.

-David