Re: My 2nd article with Gnus, about threading...

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: My 2nd article with Gnus, about threading...
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:17:37 +0200

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> This thread is definitely not well displayed because some of the
> repliers (such as harven in Cc) don't setup the "Reference:" header
> field correctly.
>
> For example, harven has kindly replied to my article
>
>                 MessageId: <m2bpxkor4f.fsf@gmail.com>
>
> but with a the following reference field:

> so it doesn't include my message ID.
>
> So I guess this is the reason why Gnus get confused when displaying
> this thread.

By default Gnus does threading by subject, so it seems you have changed
that.  See the docs:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Loose Threads") ]
| `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function'
|      Gnus gathers threads by looking at `Subject' headers.  This means
|      that totally unrelated articles may end up in the same "thread",
|      which is confusing.  An alternate approach is to look at all the
|      `Message-ID's in all the `References' headers to find matches.
|      This will ensure that no gathered threads ever include unrelated
|      articles, but it also means that people who have posted with broken
|      newsreaders won't be gathered properly.  The choice is
|      yours--plague or cholera:
|
|     `gnus-gather-threads-by-subject'
|           This function is the default gathering function and looks at
|           `Subject's exclusively.
|
|     `gnus-gather-threads-by-references'
|           This function looks at `References' headers exclusively.
|
|      If you want to test gathering by `References', you could say
|      something like:
|
|           (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
|                 'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
`----

As the docs say, it's either plague or cholera.  I usually use threading
by references, but in groups where only people with broken newsreaders
hang around, you could set it to subject by using group parameters.  See
(info "(gnus)Group Parameters").

Bye,
Tassilo