Re: Can I grab mopre than one address for BBDB?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Can I grab mopre than one address for BBDB?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:48:39 +0100

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:38:32 +0100, Andreas wrote:

> That did the trick! Thanks Martin! Hmm. Are there any reasons not to have
> that command run every time I open an e-mail? Records already in my
> address book wont get affected, right?

In gnus-select-group-hook I set bbdb/news-auto-create-p to true in
(some) mail-groups and false otherwise (so I do not automatically pick
up people from newsgroups, rss-feeds etc).

That works well for me.

,----[ C-h v bbdb/news-auto-create-p RET ]
| `bbdb/news-auto-create-p' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "bbdb"
|
| Value: nil
|
| Documentation:
| *If this is t, then Gnus will automatically create new bbdb
| records for people you receive mail from.  If this is a function name
| or lambda, then it is called with no arguments to decide whether an
| entry should be automatically created.  You can use this to, for
| example, create or not create messages which have a particular
| subject.  If you want to autocreate messages based on the current
| newsgroup, it's probably a better idea to set this variable to t or
| nil from your `gnus-select-group-hook' instead.
`----

I set it like this:

  ; Only let bbdb auto-create in some groups:
  (setq gnus-select-group-hook
        '(lambda ()
           (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
                 (and
                  (string-match "^nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
                  (not (or (string-match "^nnml:spam" gnus-newsgroup-name)
                           (string-match "^nnml:virus" gnus-newsgroup-name)
                  )
                 )))
  )

(I can not remember where I stole^Wgot it from originally).

> I have read some messages from jwz about bbdb and I get the impression
> it can do a lot more than I think. If only I knew how...

Did you read the manual?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jeg er skarp som en Stanley"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk