Re: emacsclient and gnus

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacsclient and gnus
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:34:35 +0100

Harry P <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>> C-x C-c does not kill the server here. But then I start my emacs in my
>>> .xsession with "emacs --daemon" as documented somewhere for Emacs
>>> 23.0.
>>
>> Me, too.  But C-x C-s in any gnus buffer (this message mode buffer,
>> *Group*, *Summary*, ...) I'm asked to save my drafts, the dribble file
>> and stuff, so I guess it'll really quit gnus.  Strange...

C-x C-s has a different meaning in some parts of Gnus. e.g

C-x C-s runs the command gnus-summary-reselect-current-group

> I thought so at first but when I thought a little more about it.  It
> does make some sense.
>
> By entering into the gnus session, I've basically taken over that gnus
> session, so if I then tell gnus to stop the session (C-x C-s from
> emacsclient) it seems that would apply to any session I've taken over.
>
> But with the command you mentioned `C-x 5 0' I've relinquished control
> of gnus so then C-x C-s only closes my emacsclient terminal.

Are you saying C-x C-c does not work for you?

(C-x C-c runs the command save-buffers-kill-terminal)

C-x C-s is simply "save-buffer" in most cases.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation