Re: gnus gnub question

From: Frédéric Perrin
Subject: Re: gnus gnub question
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:27:55 +0200

Hello,

Le Samedi 30 à 7:02, notbob@bb.nothome.com a écrit :
> According to O'Reilly's Learning Gnu Emacs, DEL is the key to scroll
> an article backwards.  It doesn't work for me.  I get this in the
> mini-buffer:
>
> Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Summary gnu.emacs.gnus*>
>
> I'm running emacs 22.2.1.  Is there a different scroll back key, now?

On a standard PC keybord without modifications, in Emacs parlance DEL is
the key with a left arrow above your RET key, not the one labelled DELETE.

> The questions are, when I catch-up a group and then re-enter,
> specifying n number of articles to bring up, all the articles are
> colored cyan and have an O to the left of the article.  What does this
> mean?

It means they are marked as read but not read.

,---- (info "(Gnus) Read Articles")
| `O'
|      Articles that were marked as read in previous sessions and are now
|      "old" (`gnus-ancient-mark').
`----

The dark blue face is gnus-summary-normal-ancient, « Face used for
normal interest ancient articles ».

>        Also, in summary buffer, what do article titles bracketed with
> greater/lesser brackets mean ( < subject > )?

That is used by Gnus when it tries to hook articles to a thread based on
something other than In-Reply-To: on References: headers.

> I hope this posts.  ;)

It did :-)

--
Fred