Re: gnus scoring insanity

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: gnus scoring insanity
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:09:23 +0100

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> Been using gnus for newsgroups for a couple weeks.  I really like it
> and while I wish for some functions like slrn, the bennies far
> outweigh the downside ....with one exception!
>
> What's the deal with scoring for newsgroups?  I've read half the gnus
> Scoring section and understand none of it.  Man pages are child's play in
> comparison to the doubletalk that is the gnus manual.  To wit:
>
> "The current score file is by default the group's local score file,
> even if no such score file actually exists. To insert score commands
> into some other score file (e.g. `all.SCORE'), you must first make
> this score file the current one."
>
> Huh!?  Can we please speak-a da English?

Hi nb,

You have to realise that in starting to use Gnus you are entering a
world of mystery and magic, a world that responds to thoughtful
contemplation and intelligent enquiry :-)

Here is some snippage form my .gnus file with comments - the real;
experts here will point out the mistakes :-)

The one to get rid of articles you don't like is
gnus-summary-expunge-below - see below.

;,----
;| Scoring
;`----

 ;:*=======================

; SCORING - the central score file. Gnus wil populate your ~/News
; directory with lots of score files unless you tell it not to.  I prefer
; having all this stuff in one file ....
(setq gnus-home-score-file
      "/home/glyn/News/all.SCORE")

;;1. Adaptive scoring: Gnus KNOWS what you like to read!

;;* Scoring away  boring stuff.

(setq   gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t)
(defvar gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
  '((gnus-unread-mark)
    (gnus-ticked-mark (from 4))
    (gnus-dormant-mark (from 5))
    (gnus-del-mark (from -4) (subject -1))
    (gnus-read-mark (from 1) (subject 1))
    (gnus-expirable-mark (from -1) (subject -1))
    (gnus-killed-mark (from -1) (subject -3))
    (gnus-kill-file-mark (from -999))
    (gnus-ancient-mark (subject -1))
    (gnus-low-score-mark (subject -1))
    (gnus-catchup-mark (subject -1))
    )
   )

;; Some extra headers for scoring purposes.

(setq gnus-extra-headers '(Organization Newsgroups Keywords)
      nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

;; This one is a beauty - articles with a lower score than this will
;; not be shown in the summary buffer.

(setq gnus-summary-expunge-below -999)

Hope that helps get you started

atb