Re: ``Quips'' in signatures

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: ``Quips'' in signatures
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:47:23 -0400

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Why would you do all this when gnus has signatures built in which
>>> use things like regexps for signature matching?
>>
>> Because, as I explained at the beginning,

> Google gnus and signature file - it's not so far out :-;

I think I could wander around in those results quite a while before I
found anything both intelligible and useful.

>>> And how would Merciadri invoke it?
>>
>> By keying "M-x psig RET" (after creating a congenial Sayings file,
>> of course).
>
> You don't auto call it when you send your message?

No.

> Better I guess if you only attach a .sig rarely.

On the contrary, I always attach one.  But I have two styles: psig
(the one I posted) for personal communications, which calls me Joe and
includes my email address & a rotating saying, and bsig for business,
which calls me Joseph C. and includes my full address & phone number,
but no saying.

>>> Far easier to use a file based signature(s) and have gnus include
>>> them.
>>
>> I suspect it would take me longer to find out what "file based
>> signature(s)" means than to write the routine I provided, which
>> worked the first time and has served me well for many years.

Also, as I might have mentioned, the time it takes to key "M-x psig
RET" is very much smaller than the time it takes to compose a
posting.  It is scarcely worth saving.

> Well, yes, if you have one single never changing signature

On the contrary, the psig one changes every time.  Do the built-in
facilities provide for that feature?  And if so, how would I have
found that out?
--
--- Joe Fineman joe_f@verizon.net

||:  There is no such thing as a brown light.  :||