Re: No auto login to news

From: notbob
Subject: Re: No auto login to news
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:26:35 -0600

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:52:13 -0600 notbob@myvi.asdf wrote:

> What version of Emacs and Gnus?  Do you have auth-source.el available?

I have 3 systems.  One, on which gnus DOES automatically login, is an
ancient 450 PII runnng emacs 22.2.1 and gnus 5.11.  The other two
boxes are P4s running emacs 22.3.1 and 23.x.x, both also with gnus
5.11.  The two P4s will not auto login, no mater what I try.  I should
indicate I have copied the P4s gnus files directly from the PII box.
These include: .emacs, .authinfo, .newsrc, and .newsrd.eld.  The .gnus
and .gnus.el files from all 3 boxes exist, but all are empty.

> I'll assume you want this to work without setting nntp-authinfo-file.

I seems to work on the PII box.  The setting defaults to ~/.authinfo.
On the P4 boxes...... what ho!  No such variable exists.  Could this
be the culprit?

I know how to chage the setting of a variable, but not how to initiate
one.  If this variable doesn't exist, how do I create it?

nb   ....more reading...