number of unread in summary buffer is just *

From: Paul Probert
Subject: number of unread in summary buffer is just *
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:00:51 -0500

Folks,
  Until a few days ago, when I started up gnus I would get the list of
  my 3 maildirs (home,work, and misc) in the summary buffer and the
  leftmost column would have the number of unread mails in each. Now I
  get a *. If I visit a group, when I quit it then it shows the number.

  I think this behavior started when I did an update from emacs 22 to 23
 (gentoo). I haven't changed my settings or my format strings or
 anything.
 Any ideas how to get my numbers back?

  I use fetchmail to get the mail, gnus just reads my maildirs. Here's
  my .gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(
          (nnmaildir "" (directory "~/.nnmaildir/"))
))
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
(setq starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli")
(setq starttls-extra-arguments nil)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.att.yahoo.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.att.yahoo.com"
)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      user-mail-address "paulprobert@sbcglobal.net"
      smtpmail-auth-credentials