[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: "Unknown charset: iso 8859-15"

From: Vagn Johansen
Subject: Re: "Unknown charset: iso 8859-15"
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:54:44 +0200
User-agent: Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.1 (gnu/linux)

Reiner Steib <> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 22 2009, Vagn Johansen wrote:
>> I get the following message
>>   Unknown charset: iso 8859-15
>> when I get a mail with a MIME part that specifies charset="iso 8859-15"
> The MUA (Mail User Agent) of the sender is broken.  "iso 8859-15" is
> invalid, "iso-8859-15" would be correct.  (Note: ` ' vs. `-').

Thanks for the information.

>> How can I fix this problem?
> Tell the sender to fix the MUA.  Is there a User-Agent (or X-Mailer)
> header in the message or do you know the sending MUA?

The User-Agent says KMail/1.9.9 (part of KDE 3.5)

We took a look at the KMail trunk and there is comment in the code
relating to "iso 8859-15". It appears that they were the using a
function that displayed a user friendly charset name (with the space)

>From kmmsgbase.h :

   static QString fixEncoding( const QString &encoding );

   * Drop-in replacement for KCharsets::encodingForName(). The problem with
   * the KCharsets function is that it returns "human-readable" encoding names
   * like "ISO 8859-15" instead of valid encoding names like "ISO-8859-15".
   * This function fixes this by replacing whitespace with a hyphen.
  static QString encodingForName( const QString &descriptiveName );

Vagn Johansen

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]