Reading HTML mail: two queries

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Reading HTML mail: two queries
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:36:41 -0400

I am using gnus v5.10.10 under GNU Emacs 22.3.1 under (for my many
sins) Windows XP.  As usual, I find it hard to understand info, FAQs,
etc., on the following.

1.  Opaque links:  Some of my email, in particular from a couple of
organizations, comes with links that are not spelled out
(http://and.all/that.jazz), but appear merely as CLICK HERE or the
like.  I was under the impression that that was illegal, but in any
case it is baffling.  Is there any way to get at them -- or, if not,
to mark the email as unread in such a way that I can bring it up in my
browser (Conkeror)?

2.  Spelled-out HTML:  In one email mailing list that I subscribe to,
most of the postings appear in plain text followed by text with all
the HTML coding explicitly embedded.  Contributors to that list cannot
be dissuaded from top posting over the entire contents of the posting
they are commenting on, so that the comment, however short, is
embedded in a gigantic mess.  Is there any way to prune that at my
end?

The apposite lines in my .emacs are:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "/gnus-5.10.10/lisp") load-path))
(if (locate-library "gnus-load") (require 'gnus-load))

(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq gnus-spam-autodetect '(("nntp.*" . t)))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnmail-spool-file "po:joe_f")
(load-library "pop3")
(setq pop3-password "dex5gepe")
(setq nnmail-pop-password-required nil)
(setq nnmail-pop3-password-required nil)
(setq pop3-password-required nil)

(setq gnus-nntp-server "news.eternal-september.org")
(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)

(setq global-font-lock-mode t)

(load "/emacs-22.3/lisp/net/browse-url")

(setq
 browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic
 browse-url-generic-program "c:/conkeror/conkeror.exe")

(setq gnus-button-url 'browse-url-generic
    browse-url-generic-program "c:/conkeror/conkeror.exe"
       browse-url-browser-function gnus-button-url)

Thank you for your attention.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The gravest beast is an ass; the gravest bird an owl; the  :||
||:  gravest fish an oyster; and the gravest man a fool.        :||