Re: New issue: emails get stuck in Mail/Incoming* files

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: New issue: emails get stuck in Mail/Incoming* files
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 04:49:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 30, 9:40 am, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tassilo,
>
> On Oct 30, 8:04 am, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
> > Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hm, to see where the splitting process delivered a mail, you can use
> > this.
>
> > ,----[ (info "(gnus)Splitting Mail") ]
> > |    If you wish to see where the previous mail split put the messages,
> > | you can use the `M-x nnmail-split-history' command.
> > `----
>
> > But most probably this doesn't show anything, because you said that they
> > don't show up in any inbox.
>
> No this doesn't help since the emails seem not going through the split
> process and stay at the 'Incoming' stage.
>

> > I had a similar thing when upgrading from dovecot 1.1 to 1.2 (that's my
> > local imap server).  In 1.1, the dot was used as separator while in 1.2
> > it is a /.  So the old foo.bar group didn't get any new messages.  Then,
> > I found out that I had to enter the server buffer and subscribe to
> > foo/bar and friends, which contained all the new and the old mails.
>
> I took a look to the server buffer, but nothing wrong I can notice
> unfortunately.
>
> > But I guess you use nnml or nnmaildir, right?
>
> yes I use nnml.
>
> So I guess I need to debug this with a debuger, but I was wondering if
> you or someone else have any hints since I'm going to have hard time
> to find out what's going on...

Ok, I found something...

To fetch new emails, I'm doing 'g' in the group buffer. However I just
redefined this key binding so it fetchs only emails for groups whose
levels are 1 or 2:

   (defun my-gnus-group-get-new-news (level)
     (interactive "P")
     (gnus-group-get-new-news (or level 2))
     (gnus-group-list-groups))

   (define-key gnus-group-mode-map [?g] 'my-gnus-group-get-new-news)

And it happens to cause the issue I'm currently facing: if I remove
this binding and therefore call a 'raw' gnus-group-get-new-news() when
pressing 'g' it works as expected.

I actually did another test without redefining 'g' binding: I did "C-u
2 g" to rescan emails for group levels 1, 2 and it fails the same way
as before.

So either I haven't understand gnus-group-get-new-news documentation,
or this function is boggus.

See if I can understand that code...