Re: Questions about expiring

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Questions about expiring
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:10:18 +0100

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

>> With apropos I get:
>>     gnus-agent-expire-days is a variable defined in `gnus-agent.el'.
>>     Its value is 7
>>
>>     Documentation:
>>     Read articles older than this will be expired.
>>
>> I think that this is an error, because -luckily- only articles from
>> which I have said that they are expired more then seven days ago are
>> deleted.
>
> I think the variable to be refered to is this one:
>
> "
> nnmail-expiry-wait is a variable defined in `nnmail.el'.
> Its value is 90
>

> Documentation:
> *Expirable articles that are older than this will be expired.
> This variable can either be a number (which will be interpreted as a
> number of days) -- this doesn't have to be an integer.  This variable
> can also be `immediate' and `never'.
> "

This is also seven. In both cases (gnus-agent-expire-days and
nnmail-expire-wait) it looks like articles are deleted after they are
expired for (in my case) seven days. This is the functionality as I
would like it, but the description is saying something else.

>> When running gnus-group-expire-all-groups. A lot of information is
>> displayed in the mini-buffer, but not everything is logged in the
>> Message buffer. For example the connection information to the IMAPS
>> server. Is there a way to capture all the information?
>
> For your nnimap groups, you may use the imap-log variable, and check
> the *imap-log* buffer for SEARCH requests when the expiration process
> goes on.

Works great. Default I want it to be nil, but for looking at the
communication it is very useful.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer