Re: Buffer size exceeded

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Buffer size exceeded
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:36:59 +0100

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
> Hi Merciadri,
>
>> I just used `G f path_to_my_mbox_files/my_mbox_file' to add a group
>> with one of my mbox files, but I encounter `Buffer size exceeded.'
>> Okay, I have a lot of mails, and the mbox file is ~2 Gig, but why is
>> not Gnus able to cope with it? Is there any alternative? (I do not
>> want to cut this file into different pieces.)
>
> That's an restriction on the maximal buffer size in emacs, and has
> nothing to do with gnus.  With older emacsen, the limit was 256MB on a
> 32 bit architecture.  With a newer emacs or a 64 bit system, this should
> be more.
>
> Evaluate this code to get the maximal MB a buffer may have:

> (/ most-positive-fixnum 1024 1024) ;; <== C-x C-e here!
>
> For me it says that the limit is at 2199023255551 MB.  That's more than
> an ext4 file system can handle. ;-)
>
> I don't know if the variable `most-positive-fixnum' exists in older
> emacs versions, but evaluating this should result in the same:

> (let ((i 1024))
>   (while (> i 0)
>     (setq i (* i 2)))
>   (message "Emacs can handle files of %s MB size"
>            (/ (1- i) 1024 1024))) ;; <== C-x C-e here!
Tassilo,

Thanks for this answer. My value (/i.e./ the result of the evaluation
of the expression you asked me to type) equals 255. I am not on a 64-bit
architecture, but with a highmem kernel.

Your second expression gives
"Emacs can handle files of 255 MB size"
actually saying the same as the last result.

Any idea on how to change this?

Thanks!

- --
Merciadri Luca