Re: Personalities and emailaddress problem

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: Personalities and emailaddress problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 03:41:52 +0000 (UTC)

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Setup:
> - Gnus-pers[1] to manage two personalities
> - (setq smtpmail-queue-mail t)
>
> Whenever I compose an email using "person ality <persona@provider.com>" and
> another using "person blity <personb@provider.com>", quit gnus and send the
> mail later when I am back online, I get this result:
>
>      "person ality <personb@provider.com>"
>                           ^
> Person B is not affected.
>
> I just checked the mails in ~/Mail/queued_mail/, the mail is correctly
> queued, so it seems that the From: gets changed while sending via
> smtp-send-queued-mail.
[...]
> Any idea what could be wrong?

Okay, I think I know whats going on.

As I use two different smtp servers, I used this config:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
by Volkan Yazici, which basically works fine.

It uses a function hooked into message-send-hook to set the proper smtp
server settings for this mail right before it gets send.

If I use smtpmail-send-queued-mail, this hook is not executed for each
mail in the queue, so all mails go to one smtp server. gmail rewrites
the email address, the other smtp server does not. Thats all ;).
I kind of expected the smtp servers to reject messages with a different
"From" alltogether, but thats obviously not the case.

Not a fix, but now I can start to find a solution for this ;)

Sorry for the noise ...