Re: Personal mail lists with gnus plus bbdb

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Personal mail lists with gnus plus bbdb
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:42:17 +0100

> I'm getting a little confused about how to create a mailling list
> using gnus and bbdb.
>
> The directions talk as if `mail-abbrevs.el' is required to make it
> work.  But I see that code is apparently not part of gnus, emacs  or
> bbdb distributions.  So wondering if this info in the manual is out of
> date or something.
>
> At least mail-abbrevs.el it is not on my system with gnus from cvs,
> emacs-23 and most recent bbdb installed.
>
> It appears it might be part of xemacs distro... but not sure about
> that since I don't use xemacs
>
> At any rate, just adding an aliase to a few bbdb entries, saving bbdb,
> then putting the alias in the To: field seems to not have the desired
> effect, and doesn't expand with M-tab (bbdb-complete-name as is described
> in the bbdb manual
>
> Googling `mail-abbrevs.el... isn't even turning up somewhere to
> download it.
>
> Can any one describe how they use bbdb with gnus to create mailling
> lists?

Do this:

,----
| (add-hook 'message-mode-hook (lambda () (abbrev-mode 1)))
| ; for alias field - useful for mailing lists
| ;; (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
| (bbdb-define-all-aliases)
`----

I do the aliases once but change the comment accordingly.

Then just add an alias to people you want in their bbdb entries by
pressing "a" and then adding the alias - lets say "church".

Then when you send a mail shot out just type "church" into the to/Bcc
field and enter to expand it to all the bbdb entries with the alias of
"church".

regards

r.

--