Re: Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:47:24 -0000

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:01:53 +0100 "Peter G" <nyhedsgrupper@gmx.com> wrote:

PG> I'm trying to set up the spam.el package in my .gnus.el, so that I'm
PG> going to have simple spam-handling.

PG> My current setup is almost working, save for the simple problem that
PG> everytime I first start up gnus in emacs, I'm being interactively
PG> prompted whether i eant to "enable the gnus registry" and that I have to
PG> look into 'gnus-registry-install' if I want it to be set permanent.

PG> Problem is, I already have set 'gnus-registry-install'. So what am I
PG> missing?

PG> Relevant part of .gnus.el:

PG> (require 'gnus-registry)
PG> (gnus-registry-initialize)
PG> (setq gnus-registry-install t
PG>       gnus-registry-max-entries 20000)

It's because of this code in gnus-registry.el:

(when (or (eq gnus-registry-install t)
          (gnus-registry-install-p))
  (gnus-registry-initialize))

I'll change the docs for the `gnus-registry-install' variable but for
now you should set it before the require or use Customize.

The reason it's a bit annoying like this is that loading the registry
involves hooks and a large data structure.  Loading it inadvertently
could slow Gnus down a lot on older machines.  Sorry for the
inconvenience.

The rest of your setup looks good.  You could use the

(spam-initialize 'backend1 'backend2)

form to enable the backends directly.  You don't have to set them before
calling spam-initialize, unlike the gnus-registry initialization.

Ted