Re: Sometimes Gnus need a very long time to check e-mail

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: Sometimes Gnus need a very long time to check e-mail
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:48:01 -0000

On  6 Apr 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> I have Gnus checking every half hour (when Emacs is idle) for new
> e-mail/articles. Most of the time it is done in about 20 seconds. But
> sometimes it takes more as half an hour. (And sometimes even a lot more
> as this.) Can that be a problem with Gnus, or has this to be a
> network/internet problem?

Hi Cecil,

Check if there is an issue with for example an openssl instance that is
disconnected on the other side? In my case,  hitting g in the gnus
buffer will start

openssl s_client -connect mail.server port -no_ssl2 -ign_eof

and I've noticed that at times an already running openssl connection
will have been severed by one or the other machine, causing gnus to
wait..

> Also when I use C-g because I want to do something in Emacs, I have to
> leave Gnus and start it again to get connection with my e-mail again,
> because after the C-g Gnus can not connect to the server anymore.

Hm. I have a feeling that is your set-up, not Gnus. I don't recognise
that.

--
The instruments of science do not in themselves discover truth.  And there are
searchings that are not concluded by the coincidence of a pointer and a mark.