Re: Imap stopped working for some accounts

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Imap stopped working for some accounts
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:42:52 -0000

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a bit confused. I use Gnus in Emacs to handle my emails via imap.
> Till now everything worked perfect. But suddenly, 2 email accounts
> stopped working.
You speak later about only Gmail which does not work. What is the
other account which does not work?
> 3 others still work without a problem. One of the not
> working is gmail, my Setup for that is:
>
>  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                                    (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                    (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                    (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo-
> gmail")))
>
> When I start gnus, I get:
>
> Opening nnimap server on gmail...
> Denied server nnimap+gmail
> Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed
They might have changed their port, or their adress, or their method
(which would imply that they would have changed their port).
Personally, I use a totally different approach (which might be
deprecated, though):

==
(setq mail-sources
'((file)
(pop :server "server1"
     :user "user1")
(pop :server "server2"
     :user "user2")
; stuff
(imap :server "server3(imapserver)"
      :port xxx ; name of the port
      :user "user3"
)))
==
which works pretty well.

> And only this regarding gmail. If I turn on verbose for Gnus, I get
> nothing for Gmail, it seems it does not really start checking it.
> It worked, I send the notebook to sleep and took it at work, since
> then it doesn't work, neither at home or at work.
Is it the same computer `at work' or `at home'?
> I am not sure what
> changed between that. I think gnus got stuck on the old connection, I
> forgot to close it.

> What confuses me is, I have the config in ~/.gnus.el. It's quite a
> while since i set everything up. Now when I try to start gnus as a
> different user to see where the problem is,
You mean using the shell being logged differently?
> I can not make gnus fetch
> the gmail account. I add the lines above to ~/.gnus.el but still, gnus
> does not fetch this.
There might be other parameters to set up (I don't know).
> And if I remove the gmail config from ~/.gnus.el,
> still gnus tries to fetch gmail over imap (and fails).
With your account, right? That could be because you/it byte-compiled
the .gnus into .gnus.eld, and that the byte-compiled (i.e. the .eld
file) file is read at the place of the .el (emacs lisp file that you
want to modify to try stuff) one.
> Was there
> something else I have to configure? And: Where is the problem? I don't
> get any meaningful messages out of it. .
I sometimes get strange things with Gnus, but, normally, if you change
nothing, there is no reason for it not to work anymore. What happens
if you set up another port? Does the same message appear? And in
verbose mode (with the new port)?

HTH.