Re: Using gnus with locally stored email

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Using gnus with locally stored email
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:08 -0000

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:21:41 +0200, Gary wrote:

> If I can, I would still like the email to be accessible to mutt, even if
> I only rarely use it. Would nnfolder screw that up? Otherwise, that
> looks like the closest to what I already have, right? Or
>   (setq mail-sources
>         '((directory :path "/home/gary/Mail")))

mail-sources is where Gnus looks for incoming mail¹ - if you want your
mail to stay in the existing mboxes, you don't want Gnus to slurp new
mail from them.

I think what you want is to set up gnus-select-method or
gnus-secondary-select-methods to include a method that reads your mbox
files.

If you just want to visit them ad-hoc, you can add each file as a
foreign server, using G f in the *Group* buffer.

How do you get new email into your ~/Mail?

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹
,----[ C-h v mail-sources RET ]
| mail-sources is a variable defined in `mail-source.el'.
| Its value is ((file))
|

| Documentation:
| Where the mail backends will look for incoming mail.
| This variable is a list of mail source specifiers.
| See Info node `(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers'.
[...]
`----

--
 "None of them kicks go boom                                  Adam Sjøgren
  None of them basslines fill the room"                  asjo@koldfront.dk