SMTP over SSL

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: SMTP over SSL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:45:27 -0000

I've played with this for quite a while, and I don't know how to fix it.

My ISP provides SMTP over SSL on the SMTP server smtp.welho.com on port
465. I know this, because running

openssl s_client -crlf -connect smtp.welho.com:465

gives me a lot of TLS/SSL info and then an SMTP prompt. No username or
password is needed to get the prompt. After I get the prompt, I can
issue SMTP commands just fine. So the SMTP connection over SSL works
perfectly.

However, I have had a lousy time trying to utilize this secure
connection with Gnus. When trying to send email with Gnus, the
connection just hangs, no SMTP prompt or output after the following
message:

Opening STARTTLS connection to smtp.welho.com:465: done.

When I change the port to the default (insecure) 25, everything works
fine. Here is my setup from .gnus.

(require 'starttls)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.welho.com" 465 nil nil)))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.welho.com")

Help would be much appreciated. I am running No Gnus v0.11 on Fedora 13.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Remove all garbage from header email address when replying, or just
use firstname.lastname@edu.hel.fi .