Utterly unable to read mail with Gnus

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Utterly unable to read mail with Gnus
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:21 -0000

I've been using Gnus to read news for a while now, and I thought I'd
give it a try for mail as well.  Alas, I've been wrestling with it for a
while today, to no good effect.

I ran getmail, storing my mail in a maildir directory ~/Maildir.  From
what I can tell, this should be all I need to do:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir "mymail" (directory "~/Maildir"))))

I do see the line "{nnmaildir:mymail} (opened)" in my server buffer.
When I press RET on that line, I get the message "Connecting to
mymail...done", but am only greeted with a blank *Gnus Browse Server*
buffer.

As a test, I pointed Evolution at the same directory, and it was able to
show all the messages just fine.

I thought this might just be a maildir problem, so I re-ran getmail,
storing my mail into an mbox file ~/mbox.  Then I tried this setting:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmbox "mymail2")))

I get the exact same behavior, except that after I exit Gnus, Emacs is
still visiting the file ~/mbox.  Is that supposed to happen?

I just tried reading my maildir mail again from an Emacs launched with
"emacs -Q", and got the same result.

I'm completely mystified.  Any help anyone can offer would be greatly
appreciated.