Re: Typeface colours in postscript

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Typeface colours in postscript
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:55 -0000

Edward Lilley <ejlilley@gmail.com> writes:

> When I print messages from within Gnus (with A-P), the resulting
> postscript file uses exactly the same colours as are used when messages
> are displayed within Gnus.
> However these colours are generally a bit too close to white to be
> legible when printed on ordinary white paper -- is there an easy way to
> quickly adjust all the colours in the Gnus face, or am I stuck with
> telling M-x customise to never allow any colours in postscript files?

I've had a peek at the article printing code, and it seems quite
suboptimal.  It redoes some of the highlighting, but not other bits, so
I've now rewritten it to print the article buffer as is instead of
semi-re-highlighting it.

Anyway, the problem seems to be a more general Emacs problem: If you
have an Emacs that you're running with a dark background, then the fonts
you're displaying are usually quite light.  Using
`ps-spool-buffer-with-faces' will then print stuff on white paper that's
totally illegible.

I don't really see any way to fix this is a general way -- what text
colour is too light to print, in general?  So I think if you use a dark
background, you really have to set `ps-print-color-p' to nil.