Viewing PDF in Doc-view mode problem

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Viewing PDF in Doc-view mode problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:47:30 -0000

Before Doc-view in emacs 23.1, I could display a PDF and use the mouse
to select some text so that I could then paste the selection in another
file outside emacs.

Now, with the new version of emacs, I view PDF files in Doc-view
mode. In it I can no longer select portions of text with the mouse to
copy/paste the selection elsewhere.

What is the reason for this loss of functionality? Is there a
work-around for it? More broadly, can one select an area of a displayed
PDF file for copying without use of the mouse? (deconstructing a PDF to
plain text seems another step that would have to be taken at the expense
of the convenience of not using the mouse).

Haines Brown