Gnus and new mail notification

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Gnus and new mail notification
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:33:12 +0100

I wasn't happy with the existing new mail notification scripts that I've
found on emacswiki.

I've put together a new script, called "gnus-notify"[1], that can call
any arbitrary program when new messages are received. The default uses
the 'notify-send' program (part of libnotify's library) which creates
little popup messages. This is especially useful if you have virtual
desktops and leave Gnus running with gnus-demon.

The result (showing Gnus + awesomewm + libnotify-bin on Debian) is shown
here:

  http://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/hacks/gnus-notify.png

You can also do arbitrary stuff by either setting a different
executable, or supplying an entirely new notification function.
Simply read the commentary in the source.

gnus-notify.el is available at:

  http://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/hacks/gnus-notify.el

Merry christmas :)

[1] I know there's already a gnus-notify.el script, but I wasn't able to
    come up with a better name.