Re: Gnus and new mail notification

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus and new mail notification
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:11:51 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I use here offlineimap.el that is started each time i start gnus.
>>> http://julien.danjou.info/offlineimap-el.html
>>> I think that coupled with a gmail notification is better than a
>>> cronjob.
>>
>> I dont think it is since the benefit of my way is I dont need gnus
>> running to see email notifications.
> Me too ;-) See above
>
> Gnus is stopped.
>
> 1) I call async https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom every five
> minutes.
>
> 2) When i am notified of a new email, i run Gnus who run offlineimap.

Typo : sacrilege I know, but I mean emacs ;)

I might try your way just as an academic exercise at one stage.

You still need to manually run offlineimap in emacs though whereas mine
just happens and I get informed as and when offlineimap has done its job
so I can see the mail instantly! I use Mail Notification 5.4 to then
preview whether to bother firing up gnus and fetching (instantly) from
my local dovecot. My offlineimap config handles multiple accounts too.