Re: nnimap and large attachments

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: nnimap and large attachments
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:23:55 +0100

Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel@cs.unibo.it> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to tell Gnus something like: "Hey dude, whenever a mail
> has an attachment larger than 1MB do not download it unless I tell you
> to do that"?  Today I was doing some hard coding while I received a mail
> with an 8MB attachment and while trying to download it the whole Emacs
> got blocked (that's quite normal since Gnus is synchronous) for a few
> minutes.. that could be annoying :-P
>
> Regards,
>    Massi

This is another good reason to use offlineimap or something similar to
download to a local dovecot server : in other words get something else
better equipped to actually do the mail fetch. That said others were
saying they use the gnus-demon to fetch their mail - I'm still not 100%
sure if the demon just launches offlineimap/fetchmail for them or
does the actual fetch asynchronously itself.

There is also this:-

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Asynchronous-Fetching.html

But whether this applies to email servers I'm not sure. It seems very
nntp orientated.