Re: nnimap and large attachments

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: nnimap and large attachments
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:44:26 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

> That said others were saying they use the gnus-demon to fetch their
> mail - I'm still not 100% sure if the demon just launches
> offlineimap/fetchmail for them or does the actual fetch asynchronously
> itself.

My demon runs gnus-group-get-new-news, so it just checks for new
news/mail without downloading the articles.  That's done when entering
the summary.

You could also use a demon to let the agent download new articles on
agentized servers in addition to only check for new articles, by letting
a demon run that function:

(defun th-gnus-group-get-and-download-news ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-group-get-new-news)
  (gnus-agent-fetch-session))

> There is also this:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Asynchronous-Fetching.html
>
> But whether this applies to email servers I'm not sure. It seems very
> nntp orientated.

Sure it does.

Bye,
Tassilo