Re: my vs maildir

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: my vs maildir
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 16:03:58 -0500

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Why would you do that? The overhead of Dovecot running is pretty
> low. Doing it that way you incur the overhead of startup. With it being
> a server other programs like offlineimap can then talk to it when
> fetching your email and then storing it locally in dovecot for your
> email client to retrieve using imap.

I've tried it both ways.  The only noticeable difference to me is the
lack of needing to provide authentication when imap is called
directly.  After start up I don't notice any speed or functionality
difference compared to talking to it over a socket.

Running a server when it is not actually needed is frowned upon where
I work so there is that, somewhat intangible, benefit for me.

-Brett.