Re: Managing groups added from within gnus

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: Managing groups added from within gnus
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 00:32:25 +0100

"LG" == Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

LG> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

---8<---[snipped 6 lines]---8<---
>> Eventually I had to C-g out, resulting in gnus not connecting at all
>> (imaps connection would have been possible but gnus just aborted all
>> together).
>>
>> So I was wondering, how do I disable servers/groups that I'm
>> subscribed to but that I have not configured in my .gnus.el but
>> through the group buffer (`gnus-group-browse-foreign-server')?
---8<---[snipped 17 lines]---8<---

LG> I handle such issues with group levels; the newsgroups are lesser
LG> priority than my mail groups, so I can tell Gnus to check the latter
LG> without the former.  This only works if a strict hierarchy of
LG> importance exists for the groups, but in my case (and, I suspect,
LG> I'm a common case in this), it's just fine.

LG>  - Lowell

Sorry if I was unclear about this - I couldn't get gnus to load any
groups *at all*.
And as said groups live somewhere in .newsrc.eld madness I couldn't get
them out of the way either.

IMO gnus needs to
a) fail gracefully when a server is unavailable instead of blocking
   until you kill it
b) handle said groups more transparently to allow managing them and
   increase portability

--
Philipp Haselwarter