Re: read mail in mbox files

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: read mail in mbox files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:10:28 +0100

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:51:54 +0100, Richard wrote:

> Why is this a "spool" directory?

> The word "spool" is throwing me. I thought "spool" meant it was spooled
> to you and then stored in a backend .. like nnml.

A "(news)spool" in news-related terms is usually where the articles are
stored in a newsserver (the meaning used here).

A mail-spool is usually where mail is stored locally until the user
fetches it (/var/mail or /var/spool/mail).

In the documentation nnml is described as the backend that most closely
resembles a newsspool, so that is probably where the choice of word
comes from. And perhaps also some of the confusion.

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Här kommer rädslan, gamle vän                               Adam Sjøgren
  När alla fjärilar i magen vaknar upp                   asjo@koldfront.dk