Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:59:34 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

Hi Ian,

> The Gnus manual (Section 5.5, Archived Messages) explains how to
> archive messages sent by me locally, in a "classic" mail kind of
> group; that is, nnfolder, nnml or something of the sort.  But I would
> like to store them on the IMAP server, in the Sent folder the server
> so handily provides.  GUI user agents such as Sylpheed and Claws seem
> to know how to do this, can Gnus be told to do it?

Either you take Adam's approach, or you use the GCC (group carbon copy)
functionality:

(setq gnus-parameters
      `((,(rx "nnimap+")
         (gcc-self . t))                                    ;; 1
        (,(rx "nnimap+Uni:ml/")
         (gcc-self . "nnimap+Uni:Sent"))                    ;; 2
        (,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.")
         (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items")))) ;; 3

(1) says that on all my imap groups, I want to gcc the group I'm
currently in, so that my groups contain whole conversation threads, not
only my conversation partner's messages with my replies in some sent
folder.

(2) and (3) override that behavior for my mailinglist groups.  Here, I
gcc "real" sent mail folders on the imap servers, because my responses
will be received vie the list anyway.

HTH,
Tassilo