Re: Mail-Followup-To not obeyed

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Mail-Followup-To not obeyed
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:42:58 -0700

Ian> Can we just agree that this interface needs improvement? ;-)

Adam> I think it already has been improved, in GNU Emacs 24.1 (at
Adam> least):

I don't know, that looks like the variable was just renamed.  That is
progress, but the main problems remain:

1. The Gnus documentation about following up makes absolutely no mention
of these variables.  I could read the documentation till blue in the
face but I would never find out what was happening until I traced it
with the debugger.

2. It is IMHO an abuse of Custom to set a customizable variable at
runtime.  Again, without tracing the execution I would never understand
why the variable, which was nil when I'd visited it in customize,
suddenly acquired a value.

3. The default value itself is strange.  If info- is included, why not
-announce, or the many other variations on that theme?

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD