gmail, gnus and emacs 24

From: Prateek Sadhukhan
Subject: gmail, gnus and emacs 24
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:15:48 -0000

Hi,

I recently moved to emacs 24 and with it the new gnus.

I access 2 different servers to send mail. My office and gmail. I can
see that while office emails are sent properly gmail fails. This was
working properly with emacs 23.2.

The following is the message I get from *Messages* buffer.

--

                                  Sending...

Sending via mail...

Setting SMTP server to `smtp.gmail.com:587' for user
        `prateek.sadhukhan'. (SSL enabled.)

Opening STARTTLS connection to `smtp.gmail.com:587'...done

530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at

530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?
    answer=14257 f9sm15020262pbq.60

221 2.0.0 closing connection f9sm15020262pbq.60

The answer is 42...

byte-code: Wrong number of arguments: #[(recipient
 smtpmail-text-buffer) "Ãr qˆÄ ˆ)Å Ã#‰)‡"
 [ad-return-value smtpmail-text-buffer recipient nil change-smtp
 ad-Orig-smtpmail-via-smtp] 5 #("Advice doc string" 0 17
 (ad-advice-info smtpmail-via-smtp))], 3

Buffer *unsent mail* modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y
--

The configuration is :

  (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
        starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
        starttls-extra-arguments nil
        smtpmail-smtp-server server
        smtpmail-smtp-service port
        smtpmail-auth-credentials (list (list server port user password))
        smtpmail-starttls-credentials (list (list server port key cert)))

where the password is 'nil' as I wanted it to ask for password everytime.

I see that Lars has discussed a similar issue in:
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/N57rDL8srFumXo5FD9o7

However that is very old and I thought the changes will be in the
codebase already?

Anyone else faced this issue?

Regards,
Prateek