Switching between on-site and on-the-road "mail" server settings

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Switching between on-site and on-the-road "mail" server settings
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:15:41 -0000

Hi,

At work I read and write my mail through a locally resolvable smtpd and
imap server through a nnimap transport (for the imap part).

Now when I am on the road I only have access to these servers when
tunneled through ssh by company policy.

Now I can either forward each port of these through ssh to the remote
machine or I can tell ssh to provide a SOCKS proxy that does the job.

My questions to you:

Does gnus have a proxy setting I can use?

Or do I need to provide different configurations for nnimap and smtp?

What's the best way to switch between the road-warrior and on-site
setting?

I am thankful for any hints to existing documentation!

Kind regards,

Christian