Re: Comments about Emacs mail

From: despen
Subject: Re: Comments about Emacs mail
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:14:44 -0000

>> My comment is that GNUS and MH-E seem to have too little code in
>> common.  It would be really nice if they shared message composition.
>
> Hmm... I don't use MH-E but I had the impression that it switched to
> using Gnus's MIME composition code several years ago.

I thought so too, but something's different.
Maybe I'm missing what the boundary is, but
I'm pretty sure I have different key bindings to do
attachments.

Just checked.  With GNUS I'm in Message/MML mode.
With MH-E I'm in MH-Letter mode.

>> Lastly, most workplaces have gone to 100% Exchange with it's
>> obnoxious "top posting" style.  It took me a while, but
>> I managed to create a binding for MH-E that replies in
>> Outlook style.  (With the ---original message--- junk.)
>> Seems to me that's become a required email feature.  All the
>> emacs packages should support both reply styles, but as far
>> as I can tell, none of them do.  (Except the one I hacked up.)
>
> I haven't bumped into any circumstance where the top-posting is
> a requirement in email we send (rather than only an annoyance in email
> I receive).  I've had a few people show surprise at the use of "inline"
> replies (because they had only been exposed to top-posting or to
> snail-mail correspondance), but not annoyance.

At work I'm often reading and replying to threads with dozens of
top posted replies stacked up.  If I quoted the whole thing
and replied inline they'd rightfully throw me out a window.

It's crazy, I know, but that's the way it is.

--
Dan Espen