Re: Unicode(?) / display problems

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Unicode(?) / display problems
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:47:06 +0200

Gary <listgj-gnus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>>> Could you try to reproduce the issue with emacs in some other
>>> terminal emulator instead of the one you are currently using?
>>
>> Interesting. Yes, I did try it, and yes, it seemed to work okay. It
>> may be something to do with my setup, or it may be mintty.
>
> Well, when I said "okay", I actually mean I see a line of question
> marks instead of the name, bu that's acceptable. The important thing
> is that the display doesn't get garbled.
>
> I can't tell if emacs in the mintty displays the exported file
> correctly, but the name looks like this:
> =?koi8-r?B?7cXM2M7Jy8/XIOHS1MXN?=

That's just some ASCII encoded version of what the email client should
actually display.

> And it looks identical via cat, less, and perhaps more significantly,
> within the alternative tty I am using to write this, so I would guess
> it *is* being displayed correctly in my normal emacs environment
> too. The question is, why does it display differently when using gnus
> in one tty to another, and why okay within emacs and not within gnus?

I'm really no expert with respect to encodings and how those have to be
displayed, and what might happen if the declared encoding doesn't match
the contents of the mail.

Probably, if that mail is not confidential, you should write a bug
report using M-x gnus-bug RET and attach the problematic mail.

Bye,
Tassilo