Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup

From: Stephen Harker
Subject: Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 08:06:02 +1000

Stephen Harker <sjharker@netspace.net.au> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
>> writes:
>>   - Did you use a newer version of emacs once?  If so, maybe the
>>     (gnus-compile) compiled something in ~/.newsrc.eld to byte-code
>>     that's not understood by emacs 22.
>
> That is a possibility.  I started an install of Fedora 17 and don't
> think I did anything in the home partition, but can't guaranteee
> it.

This led to a solution.  I used Fedora 17 which comes with emacs 24, I
think it was emacs-24.1-4.  Running gnus with the later emacs and
opening rec.arts.sf.written resulted in an error message saying there
was a fault in the rec.arts.sf.written.ADAPT file, but proceeding and
overwriting it after exiting with a version that works with the older
emacs also.

When I replaced the rec.arts.sf.written.ADAPT with a backup version I
must not have gone far enough back.  It may have been the first
version in which the error was written to the file.  I thought I had
gone back two days, but evidently not.

--
Stephen Harker                           s.harker@adfa.edu.au
PEMS                http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/