Re: Sometimes problem when posting to aioe

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Sometimes problem when posting to aioe
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 23:07:28 +0200

Op donderdag 25 okt 2012 17:13 CEST schreef Tassilo Horn:

> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:
>
>> I use the aioe newsserver. Sometimes I get:
>> nntp (news.aioe.org) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)
>>
>> The only way to keep reading and sending news is to change:
>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.aioe.org"))
>> to:
>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org"))
>
> So news.aioe.org redirects to nntp.aioe.org, but that's sometimes
> broken?

Sort of. And after some time nntp is broken and I have to go back to
news again.

Properly I know what the problem is. More about it below.

>> This works with one very important hitch: I lose all my marks.
>
> You should have separated the server name from its address:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "aioe.org"
> (nntp-address "news.aioe.org")))
>
> Then the server name was aioe.org (and that's important for marks and
> stuff), and you could always change the nntp-address.  It'll still be
> the same server, and all marks would still work.
>
> But thinking about it, you should be able to use
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.aioe.org"
> (nntp-address "nntp.aioe.org")))
>
> Then your server's still called news.aioe.org, but the address is the
> (hopefully) reliable nntp.aioe.org.

I experimented with this and now both do not work. (news and nntp) For
the time being I am using another (free) news-server. Now all the
messages where unread again, because this was the first time I used
it. :-{

The problem is (I think) that aioe does not allow more as 400
connections a day. Could it be that when I am busy I exceed this limit
and are banned for some time? I was trying the different possibilities
and this made me exceed the limit for nntp and now I am banned from
both I am afraid.

I December I properly change from internet server provider. Maybe I
should take a subscription on there news-server also.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer