Re: How to set up Gnus as default mailto application in Ubuntu?

From: Ashish SHUKLA
Subject: Re: How to set up Gnus as default mailto application in Ubuntu?
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 09:57:26 +0530

Marius Hofert writes:
> Hi,

> When I click a "mailto-link" in google-chrome (on Ubuntu 12.10), thunderbird
> pops up as default application. I was wondering if one can do something
> similar
> as in the answer on

> ,----
> |
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/40004/changing-email-application-in-preferred-applications-to-gmail
> `----

> for setting up Gnus as default mailto-application under Ubuntu (?)

A proof-of-concept shell script like following should do the basic job, and
ofcourse it requires an Emacs instance running:

#v+
#!/bin/sh

ARG="$1"

if [ -z "$ARG" ]; then exit 0; fi

RECIPIENT=$(echo $ARG |sed -r -n -e
'/^mailto:/s/^mailto:([^@]+@[[:alnum:].-]+).*$/\1/gp')
SUBJECT="$(echo $ARG |sed -r -n -e
'/^mailto:/s/^mailto:[^@]+@[[:alnum:].-]+[?].*&?subject=([^&]+).*$/\1/gp')"

emacsclient -e '(progn (gnus-group-mail) (message-goto-to) (insert
"'$RECIPIENT'") (message-goto-subject) (insert "'"$SUBJECT"'")
(message-goto-body))'
#v-

If you prefer messages to be opened in new window then
s/emacsclient/emacsclient -c/.

HTH
--
Ashish SHUKLA

“Will this gun not make war more terrible? No, it will make war impossible.”
(Hudson Maxim, inventor of the machine gun, 1893)

Sent from my Emacs