Re: Can't send emails to this list via gmane?

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Can't send emails to this list via gmane?
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:00:41 +0000

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes - I checked there just now and nothing was in there. In addition, I
> assume that the email would have been send via my (only) smtp account
> which is gmail, and the mail should have been in the "Send Items" -
> nothing there (checked via the web interface as well).

Except it's not an email.  It's a Usenet article. :)

Messages to Gmane (or any NNTP server) don't travel through SMTP at all,
so it would never get the chance to show up in Gmail's Sent box.  With
newsgroups, the NNTP stream is used both to send and to receive
messages.  Gmail is not in the loop for this communication at
all--except when Gmane detects that a particular sender has never posted
to that group before, and sends an email to the From: address for
verification.

>>> Same as above - I do not assume that I am blocked when using gnus but
>>> not thunderbird.
>>
>> To clarify, are you posting directly to the mailing list with
>> Thunderbird, or to Gmane?
>
> via gmane on thunderbird.

Ah, Thunderbird was using NNTP, then?  Then that's especially peculiar.

>> Being blocked from Gmane and blocked from the
>> "upstream" mailing list are not the same thing; that's completely
>> different machines, with different administrators, and potentially
>> different lists of IPs suspected of spam.
>
> Sure - two different receivers.
>

>> Your description of the order of events, though, makes it sound like the
>> message was delivered to Gmane but the required confirmation email was
>> mislaid somehow.
>
> I thought the same - but I did not see any.
>
> Any suggestions how I can check this?
>
> Rainer

I would check your NNTP configuration.  Maybe rather than using the
"browse foreign groups" feature, you can set things up explicitly.
Below are some known working settings for Gmane.

While keeping Gmail as your primary select method, try

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nntp "news.gmane.org"
              (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
              (nntp-port-number 563))))

Other NNTP servers can be added later along a similar pattern.

--
BOFH excuse #279:

The static electricity routing is acting up...