Re: Posting to usenet via gnus

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Posting to usenet via gnus
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:44:54 +0200

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> I run Emacs 23.3.1 with Gnus 5.13 under various Debian-based
> distributions, which I have configured to read news from Gmane.
> However, I post via the Gmane website. What is the best way to post
> directly from within Emacs?

When you have read an email in a Gmane group you would like to answer,
use F to post a follow up.

This works by Gmane receiving your article via nntp, and - the first
time you post to a group - sending you an email, that you have to reply
to before the article is forwarded to the mailing list, by Gmane, via
email.

For you to receive the email from Gmane (the "challenge") you need to
use a valid email-address in Gnus.

Also, for this to work, either the mailing list has to accept emails
from anyone, or, if it is a subscribers-only mailing list, you may have
to subscribe to it first.

You can read more about it here: http://gmane.org/post.php

> I've searched for a solution, but have not found one yet. Do I need to
> subscribe to each group and suppress mail delivery (I'm accessing via
> Gmane). Any guidance would be appreciated.

That depends on how the mailing list owner has set up the mailing list.

                                 o o o

Oh, and notice that Gmane is distinct from usenet. The same protocol is
used (nntp), but Gmane is not usenet and vice versa :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hur långt man än har kommit                                 Adam Sjøgren
  är det alltid längre kvar"                             asjo@koldfront.dk