Reading email from a Yahoo POP server (inbound.att.net)

From: Alan
Subject: Reading email from a Yahoo POP server (inbound.att.net)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 16:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

I've made an effort to get email from a POP enabled Yahoo server
(inbound.att.net), but the buffer " trace of POP session to inbound.att.net"
ends up with content:

+OK password required.

-ERR [SYS/TEMP] Service is not available; please try again later.

*** Fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
*** Server has terminated the connection abnormally.

and I seem stuck--for the moment.

If others have succeeded, I'd be interested in some of the relevant details.

My version information is:

GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN
Gnus v5.13

and I have gnutls, openssl, etc. from Cygwin installed.  My operating system is
Windows XP Home.

>From my customization file:

 '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnbabyl ""))))
 '(gnus-select-method (quote (nnnil "news")))
 '(mail-sources (quote ((pop :server "inbound.att.net" :port 995 :user "USER"
:authentication password :stream ssl))))
 '(pop3-stream-type (quote ssl))

where I've edited out the actual user name and inserted USER (for posting).

The AT&T Yahoo email service comes with my AT&T U-Verse subscription (but dates
back to Southern Bell Company and DSL).

Thunderbird has no such problem getting email from inbound.att.net.  Examining
its log file for a logged session with this server does not give me useful
clues.