Re: change in default Follow up behaviour?

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: change in default Follow up behaviour?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 06:57:41 +0000

Hi Sivaram,

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> On this and other newsgroups, I believe a 'F' "follow up", to any
> message would only send it to the newsgroup. It's been so long that I
> don't notice the headers when I do a follow up but only have I noticed
> that it replies to the poster and CCs the list.
>
> Is that how follow ups are supposed to work?
>
>  sivaram
>  --

`F' from here (via the gmane.emacs.gnus.user newsgroup, with Gnus v5.13
and GNU Emacs 24.3.1) only adds the newsgroup gmane.emacs.gnus.user to
the header.  It does not look like the gnus-summary-followup function
could be causing this behavior, since it only sets the Newsgroups:
header line:

(defun gnus-summary-followup (yank &optional force-news)
  "Compose a followup to an article.
If prefix argument YANK is non-nil, the original article is yanked
automatically.
YANK is a list of elements, where the car of each element is the
article number, and the cdr is the string to be yanked."
  (interactive
   (list (and current-prefix-arg
              (gnus-summary-work-articles 1))))
  (when yank
    (gnus-summary-goto-subject
     (if (listp (car yank))
         (caar yank)
       (car yank))))
  (save-window-excursion
    (gnus-summary-select-article))
  (let ((headers (gnus-summary-article-header (gnus-summary-article-number)))
        (gnus-newsgroup-name gnus-newsgroup-name))
    ;; Send a followup.
    (gnus-post-news nil gnus-newsgroup-name
                    headers gnus-article-buffer
                    yank nil force-news)
    (gnus-summary-handle-replysign)))

But of course, if one of the people you are replying to also directly
addressed someone, that will stay in the header and the followup
command won't get rid of that direct reply.

--
Regards,
WGG