Reading mail from different locations

From: Steinar Midtskogen
Subject: Reading mail from different locations
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 23:27:17 -0700 (PDT)

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu 14.04 and Emacs 24.3.1, also forcing me to
upgrade gnus (git clone as of a few days ago).  Gnus now behaves slightly
different from what I'm used to.  I read my e-mail (imap server) from different
locations: From home, from work (both gnus), from my phone and through
Squirrelmail.  The trouble is that if I go through my mail, say from home, then
read mail from work (or vice versa), gnus now fails to notice the tags that I
set at the other location: Everything received since I last read at work is
unread again.  This is pretty annoying.  Previously, the group list didn't
update, but that was corrected when I entered the group which then always
reflected the state on the server, not the state of the gnus when I previously
used it at that location.

How can I fix this?