Re: beginner splitting mail

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: beginner splitting mail
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 22:19:14 +0200

> Gnus keeps an index (.overview) and marks (.marks) in
> its own format, and it assumes that nobody messes
> with the emails/files.
>
> I think that is what is meant by "not being
> compatible": you can't point another program at the
> files, have it do changes, and expect Gnus to still
> work correctly.

...unless those changes are made to the .overview and
.marks as well, right?

But even if that was worked out I suppose you had to
have some lock mechanism so not to get races and the
risk of inconsistent data?

But isn't this a bit academic anyway because isn't the
whole idea to have the files at your disk and use Gnus
as the client? Whoa yeah, I suppose it isn't an
unthinkable scenario to have it as a server and then
access it with different clients. But on the third
hand, do you typically spend years mastering Emacs,
Gnus, and Emacs Gnus, just so you can use a plethora of
clients? I wouldn't, for sure.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573